A photo mosaic of 46229, “Duchess of Hamilton” made from photographs of Buses, Trains and Trams.
Duchess of Hamilton, a memberof the Coronation Class of steam locomotives, was built in Crewe in September 1938 and operated until February 1964. Originally clad in streamlined casings, these were removed in 1947 for maintenance efficiency. Originally in red paintwork, over the years it was repainted black, blue and then green before finally maroon as shown in this mosaic.
The London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) Coronation Class is a class of express passenger steam locomotives designed by William Stanier built between 1937 and 1948. On test it was the most powerful class ever used in Britain.